Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Make People Smile With Just ONE Word

One of the best discoveries I made in college was that of a magical word. A word that, when spoken, is so magical that it can work like a pill to rid the atmosphere of all that is serious in nature and context and to bring smiles (perhaps even laughter) to everyone within earshot. I believe it to even possess healing properties.

The revelation came to me in a moment of desperation. I was trying to console a sad girl, Audrey, in my Male/Female Relationships J-Term class when we realized that we were the only two people not attached to anyone, as most people took the class as couples. We both had to take a J-term class for credit. For me, it was my very last graduating credit (and third required J-term course) and I had a very limited choice on which J-term classes I could take and might want to take. My preference was a class that got to travel somewhere for January, which many people did, however, I didn’t have the extra funds necessary for such an educational excursion at the time. I had only a few classes to choose from, and of those, this one seemed the most…palatable. It was an interesting class, though I don’t think I learned anything (but hey, at least passing a class on Male/Female Relationships with an ‘A’ looks good on my dating resume, eh?)
Anyhow, I was trying to console Audrey and we decided to brainstorm on funny things that would cheer her up. It was then that I turned to her and with one word made everything alright again. It was during this brainstorm that I discovered the magic of the word “Menudo.” Since then, I’ve found that no matter where you are or who you are talking with (as long as they are old enough to be familiar with the reference), you can use this word to make people smile. After all, there’s nothing like the name of a 1980s latin, boy band to lighten the mood.

Let’s say it together, slowly: Men-u-do

Let it roll around on the tongue…one more time…and again...for me, it never gets old. In fact, try to not smile either while speaking it or for moments after saying it. It's hard isn't it? You can't help yourself!

There, now don’t you feel happier?

Use it as you will...my gift to you. :)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP