Friday, November 30, 2007

Hello, World; I’m 31


I’ve had a few people at work ask me about my age, out of curiosity, but at the same time somewhat apologetically. I tell anyone who asks, because I really don’t care who knows my age and think it’s kind of ridiculous that some people (in their 30s!) sweat their digits. Seriously. I mean, unless you’re competing to be America’s Next Top Model why should a person care? Numbers are about wisdom and experience and okay…baggage…but it’s a location on a timeline. I’ve been accused of being an old soul, anyway, so what’s another hundred years? To me, wisdom is the new black. I was a child of the 80s: Michael Jackson, Punky Brewster, Jellies, and The Wonder Years. Ronald Regan, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, and FAME - the television series. The Cosby Show, Tretorns, Cheers, and Roller Rink parties. Jon Bon Jovi, mix tapes, leg warmers, The Great Space Coaster, and Leather Bomber Jackets. What’s the harm in revealing my association to these things?

I received a huge bouquet of flowers at the office, from the team, and they are gorgeous. However, since it arrived, my eyes have been burning like crazy. I’m worried that I might be allergic, and I don’t often get allergic reactions that are non-food related…well, at least not in Chicago. About four years ago I discovered that I am allergic to New York City. Yep; the whole city. It only took six hours post plane arrival for my eyes to swell up to the point of almost not being able to see. Contacts were not an option. I had to visit an optometrist on Day 2 for antibiotic drops – actually I ended up at some New York College of Optometry being treated by like five interns all asking me a dozen of the same questions. I was the girl in glasses with squinty eyes for the remainder of the trip. Had there been a t-shirt that read: “I’d (HEART)New York if I could only SEE it,” I’d have bought one. I am told it could have been a reaction to all the lingering asbestos debris from 9/11 still contaminating the air. Anyhow…I hope I’m not allergic the enormous blooming wonder on my desk. I’d like for the rest of my birthday weekend to not be a blur for any other reason than the amount of wine that will likely be consumed at a certain celebration.

Speaking of New York, anyone game for a weekend trip in Jan or Feb? I am dying to see August: Osage County and could not get tickets to save my life while it was here in Chicago. I heard it is INCREDIBLE. If no one can make it, I might have to fly solo and plan to rent myself a seeing-eye dog to get around.

3 comments:

Dawn:,  December 1, 2007 at 1:16 AM  

Happy Birthday, Jillian! Hope it was fabulous. I think your birthday present is going to be late. Damn Internet.

QGIRL,  December 19, 2007 at 10:04 AM  

Allergic to NYC? How tragic!
If I wasn't on diaper duty I would jump on a plane with you to NYC in a heart beat.

QGIRL,  December 19, 2007 at 10:05 AM  

Oh, Happy belated birthday. You look fabulous.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP