Sunday, November 12, 2006

He Lost

It is a mystery to many, as it doesn't seem all that logical. You could say it's because he ran as an Independent against a Democrat. Or, you could argue that it was a simple as his being listed second on the ballot for an office many people don't even realize exists. It's anyone's guess. In this case, hindsight offers no insight into what could've been done differently.

Dad is doing okay, but I know he's a little heartbroken. The only comfort I could offer was saying that all things happen for a reason and that this may mean that he will be available to accept the better opportunity that is yet to come along. I re-told the story of the guy I know who was very upset that, at the last-minute, he was pulled from a business trip where he had an opportunity to be a part of a huge presentation for his company. Days later the flight went down and the guy who went in his place died. This was my consolation talk. Hey, it was the best thing I had. They don't exacty make a Hallmark card to give your Dad when he loses to a a 70 year-old, do-nothing for the position of Constable in Mayberry and if they do, then forget Nostradamus, the future has been seen by the company with the gold crown and I am buying stock.

Dad's pretty jaded at this stage in his life. He works six days a week, every week, for his business and can't see retirement as a possibilty any time soon. Our conversations consist of us lamenting on how hard we work for so little money and how little respect comes with the actual amount of work we do. It's depressing. But, I'm hopeful, at least. Not sure why other than it is a better position to be hopeful at my age than it is to be jaded.

Speaking of my age...30 is rounding the corner. The big Three Oh on the Three -Oh. Hallmark says there are drinks in my future. Many, many drinks. Who's buyin'?

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP