Palin Pox, Spreading and Let's Kill the Abortion Issue Already
I get plenty of political emails to my inbox, but since the Republican convention, I have received more emails about Sarah Palin (mostly anti-Palin) than I have ANY OTHER POLITICAL CANDIDATE outside of G.W. Bush and she's only running as a Vice Presidential candidate. Love or hate this woman, she is the talk of the nation. It's almost as if McCain is off taking a vacation somewhere and Biden dropped off the face of the earth while Obama is making rounds explaining a comment about lipstick on swine. Palin, to me, is like the next Paris Hilton. If people didn't spend so much time talking about why she isn't worth talking about, she wouldn't be the next biggest celebrity and her brand of eye glasses wouldn't be selling like hotcakes. We've known her only a few weeks and already two biographies on her life are set to be published in early October. They will probably become best-sellers. And all the while Tina Fey couldn't have it any easier for SNL sketches.
The thing is, I'm tired of hearing about why Palin or Obama are bad candidates. It reminds me of Bush telling America that we need to support the Iraq war because otherwise we will all die at the hands of terrorists. The use of any type of fear-based propaganda is usually a sign of great weakness in the pro-argument. Instead of telling me why I shouldn't vote for someone, why not give me specific reasons to vote for your candidate of choice? Specific reasons they will change this country for the better. Got any? Something other than abortion rights, PLEASE. Pro-choicers will never convince any right-wing Republican that abortion isn't murder. This issue will always be apples versus oranges. Accuse pro-lifers of being anti-feminist and they will ask where is the feminism in killing the woman in the womb? But you still should force a woman to keep a baby she doesn't want? Ah, but newborn babies are still a hot commodity for parents seeking to adopt and most will pay for medical expenses. You see? These arguments will never change. My stance? I think a woman should have a right to choose to have an abortion if she wants one, but I also think other women should have a right not to have their tax dollars be used for it. So, I'm pro right-to-choice all the way around on that one. Just think, then anyone who is worried about women who can't afford abortions after rape and incest situations can personally open their wallets and send money to sponsor their procedures, the pro-lifers can gather to collectively pray to ask God for forgiveness of their "sins", and maybe by the next election, the general public can focus on some other political issue to base an election on.
0 comments:
Post a Comment