Reiki, the Corpus plays, and Riget
I’m not really one to make New Years Resolutions, but as the year changed over to 2008, I made a small promise to myself that this year I would study about something unrelated to writing or theatre or dance. I decided to learn about energy medicine. And since energy medicine is something you can really only learn by experiencing, I wasn’t going to stop at just reading about it. I needed to decide exactly how I was going to experience it. At first, I debated about going to a Reiki Master for a healing session. But, instead, I opted to dive in with a level 1 certification course. After completing a 14-hour course over a weekend in April, I am now certified in Usui Reiki 1, a form of Japanese energy healing. (Step 1 of 3 to becoming a Reiki Master)
I couldn't help but wonder if any supposed results from so-called energy healing are created by a placebo effect on the basis of suggestion (a.k.a. a complete load of malarkey). What I discovered is that something does occur in energy healing. It may not be healing as you and I know it, but I learned that energy healing is supposed to healand strengthen the spirit body, which is in direct relation to the physical body. Many times there is a definate physical response such as heat or vibration sensations, which I experienced both when two people did a reiki session on myself and also when I did a reiki session on another reiki student. It was really amazing. A 'healing' session could also involve helping a dying person's spirit crossover into the afterlife peacefully when their time has come, versus conjuring a miraculous recovery back into life as they knew it.
My course consisted of learning the history of Usui Reiki (several versions), some meditation techniques, learning all about the main seven chakras and several minor ones, the importance of practicing gratitude in all aspects of life and eliminating stress, fear, and worry. Also, there is an etiquette to reiki - you must never attempt to give reiki to someone without their permission. However positive, it's still frowned upon; you'd be essentially violating them spiritually. And there are ways to do more harm than good in some cases, which is very interesting in a kind of 'be careful what you wish for' vein. In fact, in reiki healing you are encouraged not to focus on a person's health issue at all or any other specifics, if you can help it. The energy has its own 'intelligence' per se - much like the Christian 'holy spirit'. And distance healing is totally possible, in the same way that people see amazing effects when being prayed for. It's the same concept, but a more clear one, I think, when it comes to the nature of how someone should be prayed for to see the best results. There is a strong emphasis on performing self-healing all the time in order to be able to assist in the healing of others. Just like everything else, however, I keep putting it off. I've actually had moments where I'm thinking I could do a reiki session on myself to give me an energy boost right now or... I could eat something chocolate. And lo, I opted for a Snickers bar. For shame, I know. It's crazy. You can also reiki non-living things and get results, supposedly (like fixing your car or kitchen appliances, etc). Diet is also important, of course - lots of veggies (not so many Snickers), healthy stuff as you can imagine, though meat is not forbidden. Also, I received my level I attunement from a reiki master, which is a kind of spiritual ritual of initiation into the reiki 'club' per se.
I've been learning a lot about spirit and the nature of spirit from stories originating with various sources. Some of the interesting stuff discussed in my reiki course was how some people's spirits do not fully inhabit their physical body. I had heard this proposed as an explaination for autism, but never thought about it much as far as the everyday person goes. Rick, my instructor, was giving expamples of people he's encountered whose spirit might actually be very condensed and hiding on one side of their body from years of fear and insecurity. Often this person is very shy and depressed and may even physically hold themselves inward. Reiki for this person might just be about helping their spirit body inhabit more of their physical body. Others, of course, have full-bodied spirits (not talkin' whiskey here) and large auras and astral bodies. I've had two strangers and one person who was a family acquaintance, women who considered themselves to be psychic or spiritual seers of some sort, who have told me I have a very large aura. I always assumed this is a good thing, complimentary. (Far better, I assume, for someone to remark how big your aura is than to say the same of your ass, otherwise why would they feel compelled to tell you, right?) These were people who actually 'see' auras, which I'm not able to do. Maybe someday I will be able to. I can feel energy fields from people, sometimes very intensely, but it's a physical 'feeling' sensation versus a visual and not for every person I encounter.
So anyhow, I'm all into reiki and energy and reading about the divine matrix and remote viewing and lots of crazy, kooky, weird shit that I find completely facinating. I have even been able to try reiki on Mars, who started to experience what appeared to be arthritic pain in his front legs for several weeks. First the right leg for a few weeks, then the left. Each time I was able to assist in alleviating his pain enough to get him back and walking on his legs. It hasn't returned since, but it still might. I can't help but be skeptical, though. I wondered if he just injured the right leg and after if started feeling better he simply started up on the left to see if he could get just as much attention and food rewards for being such a sport. He's been known to be manipulative that way.
I've enjoyed tying energy healing study to mind-body work in pilates and how the mind process of body mapping affects us physically. In fact, I had a rather passionate discussion Wednesday night over dinner about how cool the concept of body-mapping is, but I think it was also due to the two margaritas I had. (We are finally seeing some margarita-drinking weather around here!)
Creatively, I have put aside the full-length play I was working on. I tried to get through it without interruption, but alas, another project came calling- one more definitive for me. I am completing the second act to the two-act collection of Corpus plays. THEY THE PEOPLE is Act One and DEAD MAN WORKING will be Act Two when I finish it, both taking place at the ficticious Corpus Communications company. I'm considering calling them CORPUS DUO (a play on the latin Corpus Deo). The plays could be done together or separate.
I also feel compelled to mention that I bought both Season One and Two of Lars von Trier's The Kingdom (Riget) and was completely riveted. This may mean I am a very twisted person, but I am willing to accept that. I am so bummed that there was never a Season 3! (I know the actor who played Helmer died before Season 3 could be made, but this can't be the only reason I am left hanging.) I have never seen anything like it. It's an absurdly, horrific, dark comedy series with fantastic elements of religion and philosophy. But didn't we already know I'm a LVT fan?
-ciao

2 comments:
Wait, how did I not know about this Lars Von Trier series? *frantically runs off to Netflix*
Love this blog. It's such fascinating stuff. Wish we lived closer so you could practice Reiki on me. Congrats on your certification! I haven't done it before although my aunt is certified. The energy healing sessions I've been to, though, were wild and amazing.
Post a Comment