Part 2 of the Lars Von Trier Trilogy
I finally got around to watching Manderlay. Loved it.
I wouldn't recommend this film for Americans known to take things too literally, as they will be downright offended thinking this film is racist. But, for those who can recognize and relish the use of good metaphor, genius writing and directing, and a talented cast, this film will leave you ultra-satisfied unless perhaps you're a huge supporter of U.S. efforts to democratize Iraq, or you're an animal rights activist who heard about the death of the donkey that didn't event make it to the final cut. (Okay, even I am bummed to hear about the donkey, I must admit. But, not being a vegetarian, it would be kind of hypocritical of me to go on about it, not to mention ironic in light of the film’s theme of imposing one’s own standards on another culture- in the case of donkey-rights, or rather lack thereof, in Sweden.)
Kudos to Danny Glover choosing to accept the role. He must have been truly sweating it out, wondering how acting in this film would impact his audience and career.
This film is thought-provoking in a way that challenges American ideals; however, it does more for deconstructing a democratic republic and capitalism (putting it on par with the socio-economic flaws of other types of government structures: i.e. monarchy, dictatorship, communism) than it does for solving the issues it raises, which makes this film all the more bold, refreshing, and haunting- what I’ve come to expect from von Trier.
Some people believe this film is anti-American, but I don’t think it’s anti-American as much as it is pro-realism. And if you think it’s a racist film, well, I’m sorry the art of this was lost on you. I especially love the example of the development of the two different political camps within the ‘democracy’.
If you haven’t seen it, but you’ve seen Dogville and liked it, you should see this film. If you haven’t seen either film and are someone that can really get into seriously well-crafted plot and text without getting bored, then start with Dogville, then see Manderlay allowing yourself plenty of time to view each one- don’t rush. Also, never start to watch one when you’re tired, as the slow, deliberate pacing will surely lull you to sleep before you realize what you’ve missed.
Anxiously awaiting part III of Grace’s adventures…
(Wasington)
0 comments:
Post a Comment