Reckless Identity Assumption #223
Have you ever been in a situation where someone assumes something about you and it’s totally false, but their assumption ends up paying off for you in some way?
I’m think this happened to me recently. I came clean about it, of course, being the honest type. But I find it funny that the offer…the offer that is out there cannot be retracted at this point. I think it’s kinda funny. Here’s the short of it:
Someone I have known for about five months now in an acquaintance sense, versus biblical, mistook me for a single mom. And this someone decided to extend a rather generous offer, I had originally thought to be out of thinking that I’m worthy of it just as I am, but now I think it may have been out of pity for this RIA (reckless identity assumption). Who knows where he came up with this? I was racking my brain as to how he would have arrived at this doozy. Unless he overheard me talking about my ‘four-legged kid’ –as in, my dog? Oh, God. He must’ve thought I was the single mother of Siamese twins! What an unfortunate circumstance this is- the life of a struggling, single mother with Siamese twins; someone should save her, start a fund, erect a monument, something…he must’ve thought. I discovered this over a meal in which the guy asked me if it was a son or daughter that I had…this was, of course, part of the casual conversation following the generous offer.
It could have been worse, I tell myself, in hindsight;
he could have asked me when I was due!
I’m counting my blessings.
0 comments:
Post a Comment